The XOOPS Open Conference 2005 in Tokyo
I am pleased to introduce that the XOOPS Open Conference 2005 in Tokyo
was successfully held on 21st May. With over 120 participants, we discussed
a lot of topics concerning the XOOPS, exchanged our ideas and talked each
other face to face. Many xoopsers got fan together!
Followings are brief reports of our meeting. It's just for your reference.
Session1 : Security
GIJOE, the author of the customizing XOOPS (which is famous book
in Japan), showed us how security of web applications is important,
with some cases of cracks. GIJOE also explained it is important
to know tactics of crackers to defend one's website.
Example : http://project.honeynet.org/
He demonstrate and explained how XSS attack affect to the website.
He insisted it was better for us not to have needless function or
information to minimize mischief of cracks.
In the Q and A session, he said random session keys is not useful
to prevent website from session highjack. He also explained details
of XSS attacks.
Session 2 : Core development - Brief introduction of XOOPS-JP project.
Presenter: Ryuji, Marijuana
After introduction of jp-core development members, there was explanation
of XOOPS history, from 2002 to today. Since the change of core-development
framework in September 2003, it took much time to reflect proposals from
XOOPS JP team, such as bug fixes and security countermeasures. Thus, JP-team
decided to make new (fork) version of XOOPS with new jp-core development
team, with following 3-S as their direction.
Secure : To ensure security of the system so that various groups and
the enterprises use it at ease.
Simple : Removing some of functions in present core which has not been
Scalable : Ensuring scale expansion so that many webmasters can use the
system fitting their needs.
In the Q and A session, it was explained that :
- The new team welcome developers from all over the world.
- It is XOOPS from Japan, but we consider it would be used in the world.
- We work to keep compatibility of the modules with the XOOPS at www.xoops.org.
However, it is not guaranteed whether complete compatibility can be kept
with the XOOPS at www.xoops.org .
Session 3 :
History of the use of the XOOPS:
Tadashi explained his impression and view of past and present trends of
In Japan, XOOPS getting popular, with use of famous politician's official
website. From the beginning of 2003, XOOPS got more attention from people
in Japan. In 2004, the XOOPS was used in all of 47 prefectures (local
administrative divisions) in Japan. He expected the XOOPS would be use
for not only online community site but also marketing tools (such as online
questionnaires) in near future.
From my experience - Managing multiple web portals by the XOOPS.
Sakimura explained it was indispensable to make use of CMS to manage
website smoothly. He also suggested it would be better to have :
- pluggable authentic method
- implementation of Federation/SSO (Single Sign-On)
- ensuring security
- improvement of scalability
- compatibility for another DBs
- compatibility for mobiles
- improvement of accessibility
Let's make my personal website. - from 1 week experience.
Yuzuho, it was first XOOPS experience for her, explained how she made
a website for just
seventeen hours. She explained:
- using Oreteki-XOOPS with PHP5.
- difficulties to edit default theme. She recommended to find suitable
theme which downloadable at many site.
- It may be difficult to use newbb modules. She adopt yybbs which had
more familier user interface for Japanese users.
- To make the site looks open to every one, she put login function backyard,
not at top page.
- SSO module with the TypeKey
-> By using 3rd party's service, users does not need to show their password
to a site admin.
Session 4: How to customize XOOPS
TOM_G3X gave us some tips to customize a XOOPS website. He explained it
was better for us considering a following measure first, before hacking
core or modules.
- Modify settings from admin menu at first
- Then, modify theme and module template.
- Make use of the smarty. Most customize done by use of smarty and template.
He also explained how to add new variable of smarty, how to get information
of module and so on.
Session 5: Talk and Free time
From comment from participants, it was indicated that:
- "XOOPS is very functional as much as I expect."
- "I'd like to learn PHP language more after the conference."
- "From the view point of designer, I expect more in flexibilities
We held a lottery. Winners get a XOOPS book.
Developers' meeting was held in parallel with Session3.
Over 20 XOOPS module developers, web designers and site administrators participated in this meeting.
In the developer meeting, we discussed that outline of jp-core development project, core development at www.xoops.org and request for XOOPS developers. We also exchange some ideas of XOOPS development.
In the request for XOOPS development, participants said
- "I hope XOOPS would be more user friendly for beginners."
- "It seems that the XOOPS site tend to get slow. I hope the XOOPS would
become more fast."
- "I hope the XOOPS would be more object-oriented systems."
Nobunobu explained jp-core development project. The project put targets "3-S", "Secure", "Simple", "Scalability".
Core development roadmap at www.xoops.org based on message from Mithrandir was also explained by nobunobu.
After that, Marijuana explained MOX, next generation Oreteki-XOOPS. He is aiming to develop very simple XOOPS with small core.
After the conference, we had goodwill banquet at Kabuki-cho, Shinjyuku.
About participants attend the party. We enjoyed eating, drinking and talking